Rounding up the facts and figures the drug rehabilitation center in India often creates a survey regarding the consumption of drugs in every genre, providing the government of India with an exact ratio and figures as to what should be done in the future regarding this hazardous issue. These drug rehabilitation center in India, every year have at least more than 500+ new patients suffering from the habit of drug consumption. There are more than 10,000+ drug rehabilitation center in India, running currently.
The estimated cost of drug abuse in India, including the illegal drugs, tobacco and alcohol rounds up to be more than Rs740 billion a year which has been growing since then by a report according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Costs by Drug Type:
The estimated costs of drug use mainly vary depending upon the source, how the data is collected, and the year the data was collected. While NIDA reports the total overall cost of opioid use at Rs 78.5 Billion, which was estimation collected in the year 2013. Because of the misuse of opioids, the number and price of this drug have been at a substantial rise since the demand and use of the drug is figured out.
Some of the estimated total costs related to each type of drug induced are as follows:
- Alcohol abuse has the highest number standing at Rs249 billion. People mainly consume drugs with alcohol as binge drinking accounts to be standing at Rs191 billion of the total cost to society for excessive alcohol consumption. However, most of the cost is then associated with the loss of productivity mainly at work or in your personal life, while some of the other factors stand to be including the legal expenses, medical expenses from binge drinking and also the healthcare expenses which can be caused from alcohol related accidents.
- The illegal drug abuse stands to be at Rs193 Billion which includes an estimation of Rs11 billion in the direct health care costing associated with the use of the illicit substances.
- The prescription opioids stand at Rs78.5 billion costing almost Rs26 billion of the total amount due to direct health care.
- Cannot be termed as drugs but harmful substances for our body, the use of tobacco stands to be at the 1st number with Rs300 billion. The total economic cost of smoking annually includes Rs170 billion which is in the direct medical costs for adults and more than productivity of Rs156 billion causing lost effects from exposure to secondhand smoke and ultimately the way of death.
Other costs to society:
The total costs to society for substance abuse goes beyond the financial costs including:
- Domestic abuse,
- Deaths from overdose
- Effects on unborn children
- The spread of HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C
Drug abuse costs the nation more than Rs120 billion per year in lost productivity, according to The National Drug Intelligence Center. Included in that lost productivity are reduced labor participation, incarceration, premature mortality, hospitalization, and participation in treatment programs away from work.